- Volunteer at a local food bank--Hold a food drive in your community! You can also volunteer serving meals or organizing supplies at the food bank.
- Cleaning community centers--Many times community centers have maintenance issues and can be dirty. Help out by cleaning rooms, reorganizing equipment, and more.
- Partner with a local animal shelter and hold an adoption fair
- Volunteer in nursing homes--Perform musical numbers or just chat with the residents
- Host a local blood drive
- Volunteer at a local prison-- Contact your local prison and see what activities you can hold with incarcerated people
- Host a recycling fair--Promote recycling by spreading bins around your community. Hang posters supporting the cause and teach DIY ideas to repurpose waste
- Become a mentor for at risk youth
- Visit patients at the hospital
- Help carry groceries at a supermarket
- Create a community library-- Ask neighbors to donate books that can be borrowed from a public space
- Volunteer at an animal shelter
- Tutor youth with learning disabilities
- Hold a Fostering empathy activity--Learn what it is like to live with disabilities through a variety of activities. Partner with a local organization involved with accessibility to get ideas.
- Organize a flash mob to brighten peoples day
- Beautify playgrounds
- Host a building renovation project--This doesn't have to be just for professionals! Anyone can give a new coat of paint to an old building and spruce up a neighborhood.
Environmental Service Projects
- Clean up a park or river near you. Not only will you be helping the environment but you will also make the outdoor space enjoyable for other visitors
- Food Picking/distributing--Many farms have excess fruits and vegetables that can be donated to food banks. Locate a farm near you that is
- Yard work for neighbors
- Create a school garden
- Build an urban garden to add color to you neighborhood and have vegetables to share. Make sure someone can care for it after you plant.
- Plant trees
- Beach Cleanup
- Send Packages to Soldiers--Send a piece of home to soldiers who are away. These packages can include a handwritten letter, treats, and more.
- Get well cards-- write letters to long-time patients and children at the hospital
- Days for Girls Project-- Sew menstrual hygiene kits for girls worldwide
- Contact your local hospital about other sewing projects that could be used to help patients (breast cancer pillows for cars)
- Book/toy/clothing drives for the less fortunate
- Hold a yard sale and donate the money to a local charitable organization
- Create care kits that can be donated at local shelters. These can include toothbrushes, soap, clean socks, etc.
- Hold a bake sale and donate proceeds to a local organization
Write a memoir with an elderly person and learn from their life story